Tuesday, April 24, 2012

If Walls Could Talk: A Large Bank of Shelves

The people who had this house built could have added a third bedroom but instead opted to have more living space in the main part of the house. I think they got it right. I put an office area at the north side of the living room as soon as we moved our stuff into this house.

From the first time I saw it, the north wall of the living room screamed out to me, 'Put a bookshelf here, youse!' So eventually, that's what I did. 

 
When I proposed this idea to 'the hubs,' he was not enthusiastic. So I told him that if he would cut the wood and help me get the edge boards in place on the walls and ceiling and floor, I would take the project the rest of the way. The bookshelf soon started to take shape.

I fully expected Bill to jump in and help further, after the outer parts of the bookshelf were in place, but he kept his side of the bargain: He left me to it. 

Our son Allen jumped in to help me, though, and I am so glad he did. After all, I had never built such a thing before. The bookshelf is made of MDF, by the way.

I designed one side of the bookshelf to accommodate Bill's stuff, and the other side I designed for me - with room for my computer and such. 

I painted the bookshelf to match the color of the wall. I pre-painted the shelving to match the color I wanted to put on the rest of the wall. 
Painting those boards before I installed them saved me a lot of work. 

We eventually added beautiful old wood to the trim of the bookshelf. [Note: We have painted our walls many times since we moved in here. Our son Allen says we are making the rooms smaller with all those layers of paint!]

If the kitchen is the heart of our home, this bookshelf is the nerve center of our home!! 

1 comment:

  1. “ woodworking pro weebly ” (Google it)
    This woodworking book contains a great deal of details about wood working. The book also shows several designs and explanations on the materials useful for different woodworking processes and the directions on completing different processes properly. In other words, I`m happy using this book, specially in the procedure of understading about wood working.?
    Arbor Projects ,
    Adirondack Chairs ,
    Artwork Display ,
    Bathroom Unit ,
    Box Designs ,
    Billiard/Pool Table ,
    Barn Plans ,
    Bed Plans ,
    Bedside Cabinets ,
    Bee Hive Plans ,
    Bench Projects ,
    Bird Feeders ,
    Birdhouse Plans ,
    Boat Plans ,
    Book Case Plans ,
    Baby Changing Table ,
    Coat Rack ,
    Cabin Plans ,
    Cabinet Plans ,
    Carport Plans ,
    Cart Plans ,
    Cat House Plans ,
    CD/DVD Holder ,
    Cellar Projects ,
    Chair Plans ,
    Chest Designs ,
    Chicken Houses
    Childrens Room Plans ,
    Clock Plans ,
    Coasters ,
    Coffee Table Designs ,
    Cold Frame Plans ,
    Compost Bin ,
    Computer Desk ,
    Containers ,
    Cradle Projects ,
    Small Crafts ,
    Cutting Board ,
    Deck Plans ..

    ReplyDelete